Friday, June 12, 2009

The Arrival

I'm bad about watching the UPS online tracking if I'm expecting something really exciting. This time that thing was a hand built, custom WBR/Siren Bicycle frame. And it took soooo long to get here from AZ.

But now it is here. But, the wait is not over. I'm still missing some parts...back ordered. Yech. Oh well, I guess this is a good test of whether or not I really believe my theories about timing. But wow, that frame looks so nice, it is so light, the welds, the paint the decals....all of it, built with pride.
And for a purpose. One that goes deeper than racing: World Bicycle Relief.

While I am sitting here, in my nice house, drinking my coffee (that was made in a coffee pot that I set up last night, and didn't have to get up until it was brewed), knowing that there is breakfast several steps away, not having to worry about lunch, getting ready to ride my bike to work, taking a whole lot of stuff for granted ( you get the idea), there are others here in this city and around the world who don't know where their next meal is coming from, who don't get to drink delicious coffee out of a mug while typing on the computer.....

So, my dilemma is this. Compared to American standards I am close to the poverty level of income. ( I'm fine with that, not complaining, just making a point here). But compared to world standards, I am quite rich. How can I sleep knowing that I am comfortable while so many others are suffering? At times I feel like I need to sell all my stuff and go live with them, share in their misery, help them cope etc.

Someday maybe. But on the contrary, I believe that my place is right here right now. I am here for a purpose, and I believe that that purpose is to raise awareness/ funds to help my brothers and sisters around the world.

I know time are tough, but would you really miss an extra $5 per week? $25 per month? I challenge you to give it a try.

You decide what kind of world you want to live in. And, oh yeah, don't expect anything in return, you'll be disappointed. Do it because you care.

Have a great day!!!

No comments: