Friday, June 05, 2009

Curtis Creek

I arrived at the Curtis Creek parking area and got ready to ride. The sky was dark with rain clouds and it was spitting rain. There had been a steady drizzle as I drove through Old Fort but that had let up for now.

I stretched, got on the bike and road. It was such a beautiful eveing. The plan was to ride the ORAMM route up to the parkway, down the other side, past Black Mountain Campground-at the base of Mt Mitchell, back up another dirt road to the parkway, north on the parkway to Curtis Creek rd, then back down to the truck. Time to get some climing in.

It remained cloudy and foggy for the entire ride. The climb up Curtis Creek is brutal, it always will be. I was glad it was not 80 plus degrees. I reached the parkway in 1h 10 minutes. It was chilly, 57 degrees at 4000 feet. I dropped down the other side. It was exciting, being so far from the truck, knowing that if something happened, mechanical or injury, it would not be easy getting back.

Passing the campground, the clouds parted a little and I could see the powerline cutting up the side of Mitchell. Several years ago, I used to come up here from Shelby and hike from here to the top of Mitchell. Preferably in the winter months when it was freezing with snow on top.

On up the dirt road headed towards the parkway. This climb is not as brutal as CC rd, but it is still steep. There are creeks cascading down most of the way, this provides some distraction.

I got to the parkway and thought that it would be mostly down hill to CC rd. Oops, I was wrong. It was up hill for another could of miles and 700 ft of elevation gain. The reward? When the mist would swirl around and part, I caught glimpses of fog way down in the valleys, with the mounaints climbing up into more clouds and fog.

Before decending Curtis Creek, I stopped to put on my vest and arm warmers, and I still froze. I was soaked and it was sprinkling. Wow it was cold.

Halfway down I startled a black bear, he didn't stick around.

Back to the truck, almost dark, load up and head home. Great ride!! 30 miles- 3 hours. aprox 6500 feet of climbing!!

Have a great day.

No comments: