Our scenery is beautiful and challenging and I want to share it with the bike packing world.
But, as time went by I started whittling the route down into something more manageable. Not an easy feat, because there are so many gravel roads in certain areas and I wanted to include a lot of it. But, then I realized that there is no reason to include everything in this one route.
- Leave from my front door, or anywhere in the Asheville area.
- Manageable mileage for the weekend warrior or the beginning bike-packer
- A challenge for those who enjoy pushing through the night and traveling light and fast. The long distance racer types.
- Easy access to services for refills, so one could travel lightly and "live off the land" without having to carry 3 days worth of food, etc.
- Access to lodging options including campgrounds, cabins and hotels for those who no longer enjoy sleeping in ditches.
- And finally, a route that would showcase our mountains and give a taste of Pisgah and the Smoky Mountains.
But, I wanted to release it early this year so that folks could have access to a great route for training or simply the challenge. I have attempted to complete the route several times but have not quite finished for different reasons.
She warned that that is one place I didn't want to end up especially on a bike.... I told her I have a way with folks and wasn't too worried. After all, she had picked me up. We agreed that not just anyone could pull that off!