Sunday, June 24, 2018

Ocracoke: Not Just an Island

 Ocracoke Island has found a special place in my heart.  We have been visiting for 3 years now and each year, something deep inside me is stirred up.  I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but I know that when I leave, I feel a deep sense of sorrow and loss.  The same feeling of sorrow and loss that I felt when I was moved from Bonaire to Charlotte, when I was 16 years old. ( I cried myself to sleep each night for about 6 months after the move).

What is it about a place that stirs up so many hidden emotions?  What is it about a place that I can go to once a year and feel at home? 
The locals, the ones who have family roots going back a hundred years are some of the friendliest people I have met.  I've made friends with a few of them.  They take the time to tell me their stories, their thoughts and wishes.   Good, hard working people. 
 I love the life that I have worked hard to make  here in the WNC mountains, but it seems that my roots lie on the coast.  It is something I can't change.  
 I got the opportunity to pitch in and help unload fresh fish at the local fish house.  I enjoyed that more than just standing around watching my friends work.   I can't stand to watch other people work.  I want to be useful. 
I'm having trouble putting my emotions into words, but deep down inside, I can't help but wonder about a connection with an island.  What does it mean, and what should I do with those feelings? 

No comments: