Sunday, September 23, 2018

Dirt Diggler, 2018

It has been a while since I was able to get in on one of our local races.  I finally worked up the fitness to be able to survive at least 50 miles, so I signed up for Dirt Diggler. 

I decided to make a mini adventure out of the next 24 hours, so I reserved a campsite at The Bike Farm.
I had never been here but have known the owner/operators for a very long time.  A stay was long overdue.  Cashion set me up with his favorite campsite, #7, all the way at the end of the road.  When I checked in, I was welcomed by Joel, who was super friendly and accommodating. Joel gave me the details in a nutshell and sent me up the mountain.

The winding, single lane, gravel road took me up towards the ridge until the road mostly leveled out and I found my site.  I got my camp set up and then just hung out, by myself, enjoying the solitude.  I thought about walking up the road to chat with other campers, but decided to just chill.  Sometimes, a guy just needs silence! 
I slept like a rock most of the night.  I woke up around 3 am and heard something walking around the campsite.  Something lightfooted, sounded like the hoof of a deer on the gravel.  I went back to sleep and woke up at 6 am to the sound of an owl hoot.  So quiet, so solitary.   

Rise and shine! On to the Diggler. 

I timed my commute perfectly to arrive at the start about 15 minutes before the 8am start time.  I was a bit nervous, but mostly excited about riding bikes with 200 or so friends.

I rolled up to the back of the pack, waited 2 minutes and then we were rolling out.  The rest of the day is a blur with some distinct moments. 

I caught up to Bevin  about 10 minutes in to the race.  Cool,  somehow we seem to have similar fitness and end up riding together when we ride the same events.  Great, positive company to be in.  

About an hour into the route, there was a somewhat gnarly downhill gravel portion.  Broken bones and wounded people laying on the side of the road.  A quick check to make sure help was on the way, and I rolled on.

Eric Partin and I yoyo and chat a bit through here.

I remember a super long paved decent, dropping us into the valley.  I was reserved and wound up in no man's land at the beginning of the long flat along a river.  2 guys caught me and I graciously sucked wheels  for the next 8-10 miles! 

Refill at the second rest stop, heckle Mike Pierce, alone for a little while.  The gravel road around Cascade Lake is nice and I ramp it up to catch a  group ahead.   I end up overdoing it and the last 8 miles, I soft pedal in.  As much as a person can soft pedal a 20% + grade!

The final single track and then the finish line.  4hr9min.  Great ride! 

A quick rinse in the creek, a Coke and pulled pork sammy, then I head home.  I was hot and tired, and I think I left before the podium presentation,  I figured they were already done!  Sorry about that.

I'm looking forward to the next one!

No comments: