Saturday, April 27, 2019

Wind Storm, Lake James

 The wind forecast was good for Lake James and better for Lake Hartwell.  I decided to go to Lake James because then I could be back home for family time.   I arrived and rigged up a 5.3 sail and got ready to head out.

As I was getting ready, I sneezed.... and pulled my lower back.  Dang it, not enough ham string stretching.

I turned around and looked towards the Linville Gorge and saw the giant dark gray storm clouds rolling in.  A couple of motor boats that had left the dock in a the past couple of minutes came flying back, trying to get loaded and out of the water before the storm hit. 
 I put rocks on the sail and board and huddled in the truck for 15 minutes, until I could see blue sky again.  The wind was cranking and I was nervous.  Why?  I don't know,  The recent trip to Ocracoke definitely boosted my confidence and skill, so I really have nothing to worry about.  Just relax and go windsurfing.  So, I did.  2 runs, and I came back in to switch to my 4.6 meter sail. 
I was absolutely flying across the water.  Sheeted all the way out (kind of like idling in a vehicle) and I was going as fast as the board could go.   I had to be careful as the wind wanted to slip under the board and push it up into the air.  I love jumping, but I also like to be in control! 

I was at the edge of control, but stayed out for an hour to practice.  Waterstarts, Jybes, Tacking,  I felt good through all of the maneuvers. 

I was  a bit tired and my back was hurting, so I called it a day.  Epic day, but definitely worth the trip!

No comments: