Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The Cyclist's Prayer

Please make the weather warm and sunny!!!!

I'm trying not to complain, but I'm getting a little cabin feverish and grumpy.

I got to stay home from work yesterday and play with the family, which is cool, but with a 4 yr old you can't stay outside and play all day. I'm not so good at the inside play. I don't like board games or card games. Playing ball and rolling cars across the floor is cool, but after 45 minutes it gets a little boring.

We got the sled out to go find some snowy hill to ride down. As I was pulling it out from under the house, I noticed that there was a light dusting of wood shavings in the sled. Not good. I also noticed a little beetle.

I called Termanix. They showed up within 30 minutes and confirmed that we have a Powder post Beetle infestation.
Powder post beetles, (Lyctus brunneus), are about 1/8" long, cylindrical shaped and dark brown in color. Their larvae do most of the damage to wood. The larvae are white, are also cylindrical shaped.
We were expecting a cost of anywhere between $500 and $1500. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that the cost would be $286. It is a lot, but not a lot compared to buying a new house or replacing every single joist.

My contractors called yesterday to say that they are coming out today, it looks like with the temps warming up this week, they should be able to get started on the framing!!!

Have a great day.

No comments: