Friday, February 09, 2018

A Whole New World

 I recently upgraded my bike computer to a Garmin 520. It seems I wore the old one out and the guys at Liberty Bikes helped me get set up with this new and improved version.  When I bought it, I didn't realize the power and freedom that this little computer would give me.  

I rode with for a couple of months until one cold, freezing morning, I simply cold not ride in the cold anymore.  I have held out and been consistent for several months now, but I long for that warm sun on my skin.  I don't want to have to worry about how to stay warm on the downhills, I don't want to think about how to warm up on the uphills. 

I did some quick research and figured out how to load a route on the little computer.  Then I did some more research and found that most cycling event routes can be found online and exported onto (into?) the computer. 

I quickly found the Tour De Pumpkins 100k route, loaded up and headed out to warmer temps.   The Start is in Rufton (Rutherfordton).  I found some public parking, changed clothes and headed out. 

 This route was really cool.  Lots of rolling hills through farm land,  not much traffic, a couple of longer climbs and some fun fast flats.  It was a bit odd doing an event route on my own, but great for not only training, but for being in the unknown, on my own.  

Every single one of the drivers in the vehicles that passed me, slowed and gave me ample room. Every single driver waved and we gave mutual respect.  Such a welcome change from the frantic road ride scene that has developed here in Asheville over the past couple of years.
 The downside of not know an area is not knowing where I will be able to refill bottles.  Over a 60 mile ride, at my current winter pace of 4 plus hours, I need at least 4 bottles.  I start with 2 and need to refill them.  The great part about living in the bible belt is that there are churches everywhere.  Keep in mind, drink the water, but stay away from the koolaid!

I  stopped at one church and turned the spigot on, only to watch brown water flow out.  I turned it off and waited until the next church to fill up.  It was probably just winter sedimentation, but why take a chance with so many option.  I was reminded of when I did the Allegheny Mtns Loop.  I stopped at a hunting cabin to fill up, with no other options nearby,  the water that came out of the spigot was hot.  Weird.  I filled up and used some of it, but as soon as I climbed higher up, I stopped at a nice creek and filled up with fresh mtn water!

Well,  needless to say, a whole new world has been opened up.  I love riding in this area, but my wanderlust has me searching for new rides and warmer temps!  

No comments: