Sunday, February 11, 2018

Tour De Lure Medio

 I found a route that officially starts in Marion, but it passes closed to Old Fort, so that's where I parked and rode the 3 miles t join the route.  This route was quite a bit hillier than yesterday so it was perfect for getting my body a little more fatigued, and hopefully stronger in the long run. 

There are also a couple of extended climbs in the mix which was nice.  I love the Asheville area, but there are so many great roads to ride in the surrounding communities.
It is so nice to be able to relax and ride and not fight the traffic.  If the wind weren't whipping around, the temps would have been perfect for some sunshine on my arms.  But, I stayed layered with arm warmers and a vest. 

Dropping down Cedar Creek Rd, I have a moment of horror when two dogs charged out of nowhere.  The came from  my right, barking and snarling.  I took evasive action, already doing 20 mph, I yelled and swerved.  When one of the dogs cut directly in front of me, I briefly locked up the rear wheel and did a power slide.  I was thankful for my mountain biking skills and managed to keep it upright.  The dogs finally turned around.  That was close.

There was one other dog encounter,  a basset hound attempted to give chase.  It was the funniest dog chase I have ever seen.  Nothing to worry about though.
The rest of the ride was relaxing and uneventful,  and as time went by, my pace slowed.  I was tired after having racked up 100 miles in two days.  I haven't ridden that much in a long time.  Something clicked this winter,  I'm not sure exactly what, but I'm excited about riding this  year. 

Can't wait to give the full 70 mile route a try soon!


No comments: