Friday, February 16, 2018

Going Back




 I took a trip back home.  Well,  one of my homes: Shelby NC.  The wife and I lived there for 4.5 yrs, about 14 yrs ago.  Although my pal Mike Keeley lives there, I had not been back to visit for 14yrs.  The relationship with the organization that I worked for, and the people I worked with turned sour when we decided to move.  It left a really bad taste in my mouth, and although I think fondly and often of Mike,  I just couldn't return. 

But, with the cold winter we are experiencing, I decided it was time to head down the mountain and face whatever Shelby had left for me.  After all, I did cut my teeth on group road rides with a great group of folks down there.  Probably my biggest regret is not taking the time to get to know more of the Shelby locals, outside of the people I worked with.  Lesson learned.

We rolled out for 40 miles of chatting, headwinds and cows.  Talking about life and everything in between.  Its always good to go for a "Mike Ride". 
 I hope to get down that way more.  Traffic is pretty much non existent.  In 3 hours, we came across about 25-30 cars.  People wait to pass until it is safe, and then they cross into the opposite lane to give plenty of room.  It was pretty amazing.  Different from the Asheville road scene where most of the time, people give little to no room, or make dangerous passes.  Even the dude in the diesel truck crossed into the other lane to pass before blowing coal smoke all over us....

 The terrain there is great too.  Lots of long flats with some rolling dips down to cross creeks and back up the other side.
 After our ride, Mike took me downtown,  where tumbleweeds used to blow and parking was plentiful.   Lots has changed though,  we barely managed to find parking, and there is lots of bustle and a whole lot more shops that have opened.  We opted for Newgrass Brewery.  My grilled cheese and Brown Ale were a perfect way to wrap up the day. 

Get some miles in Mike, I'll be back for more!

No comments: