Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Improvement

This week is a rest week. That means that I get to ride slow enough to enjoy the view. The cool thing is, that when I got home last night, my ride duration only a couple of minutes different than my time used to be when I used to hammer to and from work everyday. I interpret this to mean that I am way more efficient on the bike and am now properly training. Very encouraging.

The past 6 days, we have seen some most excellent weather. I have been wearing shorts everyday and loving it. I don't like being encumbered. I'm sure that we still have some cold days to go, and with the warmth we are experiencing now, it will be that much harder to ride on cold days. But my guess is, in about 4 weeks, we will see warm weather coming to stay, with one more major winter storm in the last week of March.

I am really excited about Asheville and where the surrounding area is headed regarding cycling. SORBA and the city have been working together for a while and the groundbreaking at Richmond Hill was last Saturday. Every time I ride through Azalea park, I now get to ride on the dirt down by the river instead of dodging cars on the pavement, I get excited about the prospect of a greenway running from Asheville to Black Mtn., and beyond.

What does it take to keep these projects rolling? People, time and money. The greenway system will take time, but I get the feeling that it is picking up speed. More people are getting involved and taking interest. More people are getting excited about getting fit, getting exercises and staying healthy.

And a good solid greeway system is an integral part of a healthy lifestyle.

Check out this power point presentation and get excited!!

What can you do to help? I believe the most important thing is to get out. I believe that there is power in numbers and that when the city and county see that people are getting out and wanting more space to play, then this project will gather more momentum.

Also, attend any city council meetings that are held concerning the project. Again, power in numbers.

Volunteer, even if you only have time to help out with a project once this year. Don't feel bad, we all have stuff going on, and are busy. But that one time is going to help a lot more of your neighbors than if you did nothing.

So I challenge you to get out, enjoy yourself, help your community and have some fun!!!

No comments: