Friday, September 03, 2010

Day 2

Today I became a tourist.  I've been downtown a lot but never did the tourist thing of wandering around.   After taking Jubal to school on the bike, I headed out on my own little adventure.  I didn't plan a route outright,  I just kind of rode. 

I ended up following Amboy Rd, and passing Carrier Park where there were hordes of people in blue shirts painting the Mellowdrome.  I stopped to find out what was up, and ended up joining in.  It was United Way Day of Caring.  There were volunteers from numerous area companies helping out.  That's really cool,  I picked up a paintbrush and joined in.

After a couple of hours of that I moved on, rode up into West Asheville, stopped by Second Gear and chatted with Buffalo.  Then I headed into Asheville,  to Pritchard Park where I consumed an all beef hot dog " all the way":  chili, cheese, and slaw.  Delish.

Heading north up Merrimon Ave, I stopped by Youngblood Bicycles and saw that our picture is still hanging on the wall of fame in the front window.   Swank 65 2 years ago!!


I pedaled on through the sunny day, making my way to UNCA to say hello to Nolan,  the outdoor program director.  Stopping by the little nature center store, to fill up my bottle I rode back into town, up Lexington Ave, finding my way over to Biltmore Ave through town, to Biltmore, following the Swannanoa River upstream and finally back into my own neighborhood. 

It was a good time to wander, to think about the past and the future. 

I went home to surf the net and brainstorm about my future,  coming up with a few leads but nothing solid.

5:30pm rolled around and I rolled out the door, kitted up, heading to the Liberty Ride.  I was looking forward to some camaraderie, some venting and some encouragement.  I got just that, in addition to repeated lactic acid buildup.  I hadn't been able to make the ride last week due to over-training.   It was good to be back.  Somehow on the Parkway, I ended up on the front, pulling 12 guys.  I signaled and pulled off, drifting back, greeting each one as the smoothly passed me on my right.   I relished the moment and relaxed.  It was a good day for a ride....or two.

Have a great day.


No comments: