Sunday, June 22, 2008

I am not a freak




I firmly believe that in order to ride a single speed long distance and succeed, one has to be some kind of freak. I am not that freak and I proved it once again.

The 7 mile loop that had been designed for the Cowbell Challenge, was a sweet combination of tech sections, windy, rooty single track, and single track skirting along fields. It was not overly strenuous, but continuous with no real sections to rest.

The day started out well, with a call-up to the front. Thanks to the announcer, I would be able to start two rows back instead of way in the back. I knew it was going to be a long hard day though, and I did not hammer from the start. I let a lot of people go by and I found my own rhythm. I rode for 6 hours without really taking a break. I only stopped each lap to lube, get fresh water bottles and some food. At the end of lap 6 I took a break. It was starting to get hot out, and I knew I had to be careful. I ate and sipped on water and sports drinks for the next hour or so. Around 5:30pm I went back out. I felt good. In fact, I felt pretty good the whole time I was out there. I managed to ride 3 more laps without stopping very long. That was when I decided that I should go ahead and finish.

The finish to this race is weird because you cannot cross the finish line with your last lap until 9:01 pm. That meant that it was now 7:30 pm and I would have to way to cross the finish line. That's cool, I could get cleaned up and packed up and be ready to go. I went back to the tent. Sat down with some water, and then it hit. That wave of nauseousness. The lady in the tent next door asked if we were going back to Ashville. I looked at her and said" I'm sorry, I can't talk right now", and for the next hour and a half I laid on the ground first hot, then cold, trying to sip on some electrolyte drink. Little Jubal was concerned and kept asking questions about what was going on. Rhonda was scurrying around getting things packed up. A thunderstorm was rolling in and race director called the race at 8:30pm. I guess I get one more DNF ( did not finish), as I was not able to walk the 50 yards to cross the finish line. ( so much for goal number one: finish feeling well).

The EMT's came over and looked at me, took my blood pressure, and said that I looked a whole lot better than I did last year. They said I would recover on my own if I could keep drinking. They said I probably did not feel so good, but I would recover.

Rhonda got everything loaded, and I stumbled into the front seat where I tried to get comfortable for the hour ride to my parent's house in Charlotte. We got a little lost but finally found the way.

I stumbled to the room and lay down. After about thirty minutes of laying motionless, I started feeling better. After an hour I was able to get up and take a shower.

I ended up with 62 miles.

Lesson learned: I cannot ride a single speed long distance and expect to feel good. Those who are capable of doing so, may not be freaks, but there is something special about them. My hat off to those!!!

Next up: Hot Doggett 100.

Have a great day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: