Friday, June 06, 2008

Rhodo Tunnels of Love

Kitsuma is such an intimidating trail. Especially in 90 degree heat. My plan is to ride out there to improve my skills. It would be great if I could ride the entire loop twice, in preparation for the Off Road Assault on Mt Mitchell. But yesterday, at 7pm, it was so hot and my head was pounding the way it pounds before my body fails me, that I decided not to do two loops. I did one Kitsuma to Mill Creek rd loop then went up the Kitsuma switchbacks again, turned around and rode back down.

I am pretty excited that I was able to ride all but two of the switchbacks going up. One of them I stopped and tried again and made it. The bugger though, is a left hand turn, you first have to get over a rock water bar, make the left, up-slope turn, navigate a diagonal root, then pop up 10 inches over another root. I'll have to work on that one.

After getting back to the parking lot at the end of the first loop, there were some good old fashioned red-necks in the parking lot drinking beer and doing who knows what. Sketchy place, that parking lot.

Have a great day.

No comments: