Thursday, April 09, 2009

Dont' Do Skylights

After wrestling with the skylight flashing kit for about two hours, we decided to nix the skylights.

The day started great. Everybody was there and in a good mood. The first sign of a day going awry was the City of Asheville Engineering Inspector stopping by to tell me that the city is not going to regulate/ enforce the drainage issues from the new buildings next door/uphill. He told me that water is always going to flow downhill. Hmmmm.

We got started on the roofing. We went with the color...(drum roll)....Berry. Rhonda liked it from the beginning and I did not, but after months of deliberation, that is what we settled on. And it looks great!!!

We cut the holes in the decking and mounted the skylights. Then I started with the flashing while my contractors started with screwing the panels in. When we got to the skylights, we had to cut some pieces of paneling to make it fit but it wasn't fitting. After cutting, trimming, reading the directions repeatedly ( i could probably recite them to you) it still was not working right. It seems that the directions skip over some key parts, leaving us, the consumer wondering what that little piece is supposed to do.

My friend told me this morning that they were afraid to say anything to me, worried that I might throw hammer through the window!! I reminded them of the Incredible Hulk. ( I was in control the whole time, FYI).

So, I made the executive decision to scrap the skylights. It took about 30 minutes to un-install them, frame and deck the holes, and another 30 minutes to put the remaining panels up. I had to order two more panels this morning to replace the ones we cut. But it should only take them another 30 minutes to finish up. Sweet!!

Next project is to finish insulating, get that inspected and then start on the interior walls: sheetrock and wood paneling. It's gonna be nice!!

Have a great day.

No comments: