Wednesday, November 10, 2010

First Night Ride

 I set out for a quick ride.  I got out while it was still light and warm.  I was wearing a jersey with arm warmers and shorts.  It was cool in the hollers by the creeks and warm on the ridges.  The leaves are still bright.  Some trees are totally bare, then rounding a corner, my senses are rocked with bright red, orange and yellow.  I had to stop several times to soak it in.
 The sun set and it started getting dark.  The forest was alive with squirrels, birds and bears.  I saw a mama bear and two cubs.  I tried to pet them, but they ran away....
 Twilight was long tonight.  The afterglow of the setting sun lasted about45 minutes.  I stopped at the new overlook at 5 points to ponder the sounds of civilization far below.  The dog barking, kids playing, the crowd at the ballfield cheering.
Dark finally closed in, and it was just me and my beam of light, slicing through the thick blackness, cruising down Ingles Field.....peaceful, not wanting to be anywhere else, living in the moment.


Have a great day.

No comments: