Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rainy Day

The rain comes in waves, pushed along by the wind.  The sky is dreary and the day only somewhat lighter as the sun rises behind the thick grey clouds.   As I sit and ponder, I think back to a day much like this,  about 12 yrs ago. 

It was the week before my wedding, late spring 1998,  but the weather was similar.  I was curled up in my little green dome tent, Walmart special,  waiting for the rain to pass.  Deep in the Georgia mountains and headed for North Carolina.  I was camped out just north of the Walasi-Yi center, in a small clearing surrounded by huge old oak trees. 

I was on a journey,  hopefully not my last,  before getting married.   I wanted to do something,  a sort of rite of passage, before I stepped into another chapter of my life.  I had Rhonda, my then fiance, drop me off out in the middle of nowhere, at the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.  It was my dream to one day hike the entire AT.  We bid adieu and I felt a twinge of loneliness as she drove away.  I would literally not see her again until our wedding day.  She gave me a journal and wrote on the first page:

"I'm so excited about your trip.  This is definitely an experience you will never forget.  God is going to protect you and He is going to teach you some neat things.  I wish I could be with you all the way, but...  So, I thought it would be neat if I could read about your experience.  I want to know your struggles, joys, meditations, desires and sights.  I love you, Stephen, and I can't wait to see you again.  I'll be praying for and thinking about you everyday.  Have a good trip.  Don't do anything I wouldn't do. :)  You're the best!!

I love you,

Rhonda

I ended up staying on the trail for 5 days/4 nights.  I had pushed a little too hard and was having knee troubles.  Not wanting to injure myself, I called it a trip at Unicoi Gap, and hitched a ride to my car where it was parked at the Blueberry Patch Hiker Hostel.

Have a great day.

No comments: