Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Kitsuma

 I got to go for a ride today.  It was good to get some fresh air and clear the head.  It brought clarity,  rides do that for me.Knowing what I need to do and doing it are two different steps, but once it is done it tends to feel better.  Although when the task involves exposing personal feelings and beliefs, with the chance of rejection increasing, the task can be more difficult.  Here's to hoping for the best,  and that is what motivates me now, hope.
I headed out to Kistuma.  The trail is getting broken in and the deep wheel sucking grade reversals are taming down enough to keep some speed over. There are a few farther down the trail though that need some help. 
The views were amazing, the air humid but cool and the Mountain Laurel is in full bloom.  After spending so much time in Bent Creek and on the road this year, the quiet woods were a welcome change. 
Bombing down Jarrets Creek rd, my tires hardly making a sound on the hard packed sand and gravel,  I rounded a bend and spooked a turkey.  It jumped up, startled and with barely 3 feet between us, we both stood there looking at each other for a few seconds.   The turkey did not fly away as one normally would so I sat and watched it.  It was then that I noticed a little turkey the size of  an orange walking around in the brush on the side of the road. 
Lots going on and rain in the forecast.  I'm signed up to ride the Pisagah 111K.  I hope that my rides can stay consistent up until then..  I have plenty of base and know that I can go the distance, just not sure how fast I'll be going.  But is the weather is nice like it was on today's ride,  slow will be just fine!

No comments: