Wednesday, May 09, 2012

PMBAR

I had the privilege again this year to police FS 50515 at the Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race.   Once again, I set up shop to serve grilled cheese and cold cokes.  I was prepared with 20 loaves of bread and 200 cokes.  Last year I had half that and ran out.  This year, I was on the path of a checkpoint that was not mandatory, but I was still hoping to see a lot of people. 

It turns out that the route was fairly lucrative,  either that or the rumors spread and people changed their route just to get some of the golden gooey crunchy goodness of a grilled cheese sammy, washed down with an ice cold coke.  

I arrived at 8am and set up.  It was 3 hours before anyone showed up and had me wondering what I was going to do with all the food if no one showed up.  For a brief second, I even wondered if I showed up a day early....

At 11am the first team showed up and teams streamed through until around 4:30 pm, with a few teams trickling through later.  

I was responsible for manning the post until 8pm.  I was relieved when the last team left at 7:30pm.  They had some trouble with a flat tire, and didn't have what they needed to re-repair the tire, so they were bailing and asked for a ride.  Fortunately, some spectators showed up and they were able to get rolling again.  

At 8pm on the dot, I called it a day, considered heading to the finish, but headed home. 

On Sunday, I was to go for a 65 mile ride with the Fletcher Flyer Training Program and I was tired.

See you next year!

No comments: