Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Track Racing


Track racing is a very exciting sport. You take a bike, with no brakes, no freewheel ( meaning you can't coast) add an oval track and you have the ingredients for fixed gear track racing. Most fixed gear tracks are called velodromes. These are shorter tracks with steep banking in the corners. The Asheville Mellowdrome is different. It is a 1/3rd mile track with mellow banking. It is actually an old Nascar track, the very one that the Petty family cut their teeth on.
As I have mentioned before, I have officiated and help promote the racing here for the past 2.5 yrs. This year, I have decided to try my hand at racing. Not only will I get to spend more time with my family between races, the shorter, sprint competitions will help improve my mtn biking. I am looking forward to seeing improvements.
The field is split into A,B, and C category. Everyone starts in the C's unless the promoter feels that you are someone special and decides to bump you up. I am actually looking forward to starting with the C's. I know how to call the races, relegate racers, but following those same rules will be a little different while in the pack. Starting in the C's allows for a good, solid learning curve before moving into a faster more competitive level of racing.
Since I am using this series for training purposes, I will not be going all out for the win. I will take a win if it is there, but I want to continue to focus on the training benefits while staying away from crashing. Although, as they say in NASCAR, "Racin' is Rubbin'", such is not the case in fixed gear racing!!!
Have a great day.

No comments: