Last minute reminders, updates and adjustments for this weekend:
· Online registration ends at 9 pm this Thursday, Oct. 23. You can register on race day, but the price increase is slightly higher—we call it Mountain Bikers’ Bailout Package-Amended.
· We’ll have a little something extra for all those who are racing in the Grand Champion Class or the 8-Hour race, from KENDA and MONA VIE and Clif Bar.
· We did some fine tuning on the course for the 8-hour race over the weekend. The course is marked and you are more than welcome to go out and take a ride on the 8+ miles before Saturday.
· We will combine the categories in the Friday NiteRider short track and the Beast on Sunday so that everyone will race at once. Not to worry, we'll keep time with in the class you signed in on separately.
· Remember, there is a $2000 Equal cash purse payout in the Open Male and Female 8-hr Endurance race. And we have over $7,000 worth of prizes to win throughout the weekend.
· Raffles: the lucky winner of grand prize trip to St. Lucia will be called out on Sunday; Cool Breeze Cyclery will be doing prize drawings every hour; our Family Prize raffle for those with little ones features prizes from iBert and Strider, and we’ll raffle copies of the 24 Solo DVD autographed by Chris Eatough to benefit World Bicycle Relief.
· Don’t forget your Halloween costumes!
Fisher Farm Park will be the happening place for mountain biking this weekend, and Davidson will be the happening place for everything else—the Downtown Merchants sidewalk sale, Farmers Market, and Spooktacular—Visit the Town of Davidson website for more.
Races within the Race
The Oktoberfest 8-Hour Endurance Mountain Bike Race is the final race on the USA Cycling Ultra-Endurance Calendar. So you can bet the competition will be fierce! Our sponsors have really stepped up to provide some great prizes for all the events:
· King/Queen of the Mountain The Lady that climbs to the top of 5 to 7 climbs (still finalizing the checkpoints!) during Oktoberfest 8-Hour Endurance Race on Saturday will be recognized as the Queen of the Mountain, and will receive the Specialized/Komen pink Propero Helmet and 2008 Women’s Factory Team Jersey--also in pink—to support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October. The man who will be “crowned” King of the Mountain will be awarded a Red Propero Helmet and a red Specialized Factory Team Jersey.
· Fastest Lap, Fastest Night Lap NiteRider is the Official Lighting Sponsor of NMBO, sponsoring the Friday NiteRider Short Track Race. When the sun goes down the lights come on, and NiteRider will award the Fastest Lap at Nite Female and Male in the 8-Hour Endurance race.
· Grip it and Rip It for the Whole Shot First racer to get around the course in the short track race, first racer out of the prolog and onto the endurance course, fastest time trial racer, and first racer around the Beast course will be awarded ODI Grips.
· Get Spotted in Your Tifosis!The first racer in the endurance race to get spotted in their Tifosis gets their choice of a brand new pair, so make sure Shannon spots you first!
Just Kids’ Stuff
· Cool Breeze Cyclery is sponsoring and organizing the Kids’ races on Saturday morning… they’re setting up for 6-8 years, 9-11 years, and 12-15 years, so get your kids signed up! No charge to race, but they must have a parent/guardian-signed release.
· We’re not leaving out the littlest bikers! We’re setting up a Strider Corral for toddlers to 5 year-olds to try out, race and even win one of the Strider Running Bikes.
Cheap or free!
· Best breakfast deal going at the Egg at Davidson: Fuel up for Saturday’s race at the Egg at Davidson. Your choice of oatmeal or pancakes, plus two eggs, choice of meat, juice and coffee for only $4.50! Check your race packet for directions and a coupon.
· Cheap good tasting micro-beer, organic coffee and good music! We’re hooking up with Summit Coffee in Davidson for a post race party on Friday and Saturday nights. $2 brews and live music beats stock watching any day!
· Free, neutral technical support: provided by the great folks of The Cycle Path and Cool Breeze Cyclery.
· Free demo rides: check out the latest mountain and road bikes from Cannondale, Specialized, and Trek!