Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Might Be On To Something

I have been doing a ton of research trying to figure out what is going on with my body. Working with Namrita has been great, she has opened my eyes to what nutrition does for the endurance athlete. If you need nutrition help, get in touch.

Last, night I went on a 3 hr road ride. I figured that would be the best way to gain some endurance, and add some time in the saddle. Rhonda is cool with it, so I went for it.

After a lot of processing info, sometimes conflicting, I had 3 possible solutions to go on:
1- I was getting too much fluid. ( hyponetremia )
2- I was not getting enough fluid.
3- I was not getting enough calories.

#2 I had all but eliminated last week when I drank 130oz of fluid on a 3 hr ride, and still got nauseous. All of the fluid had been carefully measured and supplemented with the electrolytes.

The original plan was for last night's ride was to start with reduced water. My research showed that my 3 possible issues all have similar symptoms, making it difficult. So, I packed 3- 16 oz bottles with electrolytes and calories. ( I 'm trying to stick with the liquid diet).

After getting to work though, I changed my mind and decided to up the calories too. I decided to do this because if you are running on too few calories, you feel sluggish and tired. At the Hot Doggett, I could have laid on the side of the road and taken a nap. So, I needed to add calories, and didn't have any gels with me. All I had was some PowerBar Endurance drink mix; Lemon Lime. For my electrolytes, I had nuun, and I could not remember what flavor I had put in the bottles. I figured the worst that could happen is it would taste terrible.

And it did. The first swig made me gag, but if the experiment worked, I figured I could endure.

I started the ride with a steep 1.5 mile climb. Almost too steep. After coming back down my tendons in my legs felt really funny. Then I rode around Bee Tree/ Riceville Rd/ BRP/ Biltmore Forest etc.

I decided not to take it easy, I wanted to push it, to simulate race day, maybe a little under that, but definitely stress the body and make sure that what I was consuming was doing the trick.

It turned out to be a successful ride. I did not get nauseous at all. I sweat the entire time, not a dripping, running, sweat, just a steady sweat. I got a twinge of hunger once, which Namrita said is sometimes a mental thing, it was right around the time I usually eat dinner. And on top of that, I felt really peppy. The hills were no problem, I felt strong, not sleepy, and did not want to quit riding. I have not felt like that in a long time.

So, we are going with the "less is more" theme for me. I still have some more experimenting to do, but results are results, and that ride was great.

I should be able to get several more long rides in, hopefully one in the heat this weekend, and then ORAMM next week....

Have a great day.

No comments: