Wednesday, April 07, 2010

2nd Day Off

Another day of fun with the family.  We parked at the French Broad River Park and rode our bikes up the French Broad River Greenway to Hominy Creek and back.  We stopped at the track at Carrier Park for a couple of laps.

We then turned around and headed back.  The Greenway is a great addition to Asheville and provides a great place to go for a chill family ride.  It would be really cool if the Greenway extended another couple of miles to the Arboretum. 
There are some really cool trees along this route.  A trials rider could have a lot of fun.   Jubal attempted to ride over a stump, but wound up endo-ing and going over the bars.   That one hurt.

I've been continuing research to try to figure out why I overheat so easily and what I can do about it.  The only thing that I have found so far is to lower calorie intake.  One source said that " the rate at which one burns calories contributes to heat stress".  Burning calories causes body temps to rise.  On a cold hike, or while camping in the cold, I have eaten a bit of chocolate to stay warm.  When it is hot out, and I eat, my body creates warmth, although I don't need it as much as I do when it is cold out. 

I read another article that stated that pigs actually eat less during the warm summer months, in an effort to keep core temps lower. 

Then I think back to my personal success at Fool's Gold 50 when it was blazing hot and I lowered my caloric intake. 

It could be that at the 6 hrs of Warrior Creek, I simply consumed too many calories.  Something to continue to work on.

Have a great day.

No comments: