Friday, April 30, 2010

Liberty

Thursday, I decided to try out the Liberty Bikes intermediate paced, 40-ish mile road ride.  Intermediate pace?  That envelope might have gotten pushed a little bit.  But it sure was fun cruising along the flats at 30mph!!! 
I also decided to get some extra mileage in and rode my bike to work.  I enjoyed the ride despite the 35 degree temps that were hanging around.  After getting off work, I rode to Liberty getting there for the ride with a few minutes to spare. 

Robert Watkins was there looking fast.  As the small group gathered, I looked around and wondered if I would be able to keep up.  This should be interesting. 

We rolled out promptly at 6pm, with Sam White and Kevin as our guides.  The group headed south on the Pkwy and kept an easy pace.  We wound our way out and around the countryside towards Mills River.  Everything was chill and manageable, until we hit a longer climb.  The pace picked up a little bit, the group split a little regrouped for the most part at the top, then someone laid the hammer down.  I hung on as long as I could, then got dropped.  Yeah, this ride was gonna hurt.  I pedaled alone for a few minutes before getting in with others who had gotten dropped and we formed a paceline. 

After regrouping, we headed out through Mills River and out through Fletcher.  I knew where I was at this point,  well, for a couple of minutes I did. 
Lots of rolling hills and flats gave us the opportunity to pick up some speed.  Along for the ride was a guy named Brian.  When he went to the front, it was time to buckle down, tuck in and give it all I had.  We were flying at over 30mph a couple of times.  It was all I could to do hang on.  Once the road tilted up a little, I could not hang on and got dropped again.   Getting dropped is not fun!
At some point we landed on Mills Gap Rd and I knew where we were, briefly, until we turned again.  The ride was supposed to last around 2 hrs, and I had two water bottles.  Even though the air was cool, I was getting hot, and worried that I would run out of fluids.  I kept sipping but also conserving.  I had eaten a Gensting Honey Stinger gel and now pulled out some Honey Stinger chews.  Those little morsels of honey and nutrients are delicious, easy to eat, and effective. 

We regrouped once again before heading down Hendersonville rd and back home.  Sam asked if I was having fun and the answer was "Yes".  He mentioned that joining this ride would help with my leg speed.  I agreed, and I'll be back.  It's a fun, laid back, intense ride and you should consider joining us.
As the Pkwy came up, I bid the group farewell and headed home.  The last mile and a half were a bit sluggish and my body felt spent when I got home.  Thankful that Friday is an off day, I ate a big plate of angel hair pasta with cheese sauce , a grilled cheese sandwich and several homemade chocolate chip cookies.   Yum!!

Have a great day!!

No comments: