Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday

Monday= another week of bike rides!!

Thurday and Friday, I participated in and completed a USFS Sawyer Certification Course.  It was a challenging and intense course that taught us how to safely clear trees for the purpose of trail maintenance.  The first morning consisted of lecture and short instructional videos.  At lunch I was so overwhelmed with all of the new vocab and processes that I was not sure I was going to pass.   But the rest of the day and all day Friday was spent in the woods, hands on, clearing trails and felling trees.   Fun stuff.

Saturday I met up with Mike and Mike for the Assault on the Carolinas.  It was a cool morning, cold acutally, that turned into an awesome warm day, with bright blue skies.  We just took our time, talking along the way and enjoying the scenery. 

10 miles from the climb up Cesar's Head, I went to the front and pulled the group through the headwind to the base of the climb.  Mike and Mike did a great job of drafting.  Just like I taught them.   As the road tipped upward, Mike K said, " Alright Stephen, see you at the top".  I slowly got into a comfortable pace and ground my way up to the top.  

Today, I was going slower than I would have if I was by myself, yet I did not regret it one bit.  I was enjoying myself, enjoying the company, and still challenging myself.   Maybe this would be my new race pace! 

As I neared the top, I spotted the Vassago Jersey that I have missed over the past several months.  It was Brian Archer, and he was looking fast!  I passed him with a pat on the back, he matched my pace and we chatted up to the top.  It was good to see you back out, brother!!
The top of the climb was a welcome sight.  And of course Jubal and Rhonda made it that much better.  This morning on the way to the ride, I turned around and looked at Jubal.  He looked tired, and not excited.  I said, " Jubal, in a couple of years, we will be driving to your races".   His big grin was the only response I needed!
The trees are leafing out and the overnight cold snap seems to have had no affect on the vegetation.
Table Rock, SC

M&M made it up to the top in good time, we re-filled water bottles and headed down the other side.   Once at the bottom, after the swooping fun decent, I assumed the lead of what was called "The Janes Train".  We got a steady pace going and were headed towards the finish.  At the last little, I stepped on it to reel in a couple of people ahead and went for the finish.  I turned around just before the finish so we could cross the line together.  I waited and they didn't come.  So, I went back.  Mike R had flatted,  100yrds from the finish.  After a "45minute" tube change, we rolled down the hill for some food!
According to this photo finish, I got 1st......

Have a great day!!

No comments: