Friday, May 07, 2010

Liberty Bikes Ride

Wednesday night, I got a total of about 2hrs of sleep. Not consecutive.  I didn't want to miss the Thursday night ride at Liberty so I rode my bike in to work and rode to Liberty for the ride after work.  Passing the short cut to my house, all I could think of was wanting to take a nap.  I headed on to Liberty.

There were about 15 guys.  We rolled up and the group stayed together for about 30 minutes.  Then Sam went to the front and the pace picked up.   I knew that I was not going to be able to hang by tried anyway, because you never know.  Fortunately, the pace was a hair slower than last week and I was able to hang on for most of the ride.
 
A thunderstorm in the distance shadowed us for most of the ride, but it never came near us. 

About 3/4 of the way into the ride, I got shelled.  It was a longish hill with a moderate grade but I simply could not keep the pace.  So, I backed off, ate a delicious Chocolate Honey Stinger gel, sipped some nuun, and maintained my pace knowing that the group would splinter and I would get in with a couple more guys who had gotten dropped.  The only problem was that it never happened.  The group stayed together and I watched them roll out of site, up and over a couple more hills....and then I was alone.  I rode on, coming to a stop sign and didn't see anyone. Now what?  I got dropped and left behind on the no rider left behind ride.  My inner child wanted  to sit on the side of the road and cry.  My inner clown laughed uncontrollably!!  In reality, I did circles for a minute until I flagged down a motorist and asked if they had seen a group of cyclists.  She said they were just up the road.
This is what is looks like to get dropped

I headed up the road and got with the group.  After a bit of joking and laughing at myself, we got going again.   The combination of the gel and the slower pace helped me recover enough to go off the front with Kevin over the last group of grunt hills.  That felt really good.  

It was a good ride and I cannot wait until I will be able to hang with the group again.  It has been a long time since I have done any riding at this intensity, and I know that it is going to make a difference.  Plus while not during the hottest part of the day, the pace is causing me to push my temperature limits as well.  I am most likely going to have to leave the camera at home from now on and use the space to carry a spare water bottle in my jersey pocket.  

Have a great day!

No comments: