Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Bikepacking/touring

A couple of weeks ago, the wife and kid went to Roanoke for a week.  I decided that I was going to take a long weekend and ride up there from Asheville, on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  A self supported bike trip.  I have never done a self supported trip before, and I figured I would try it out. 

After borrowing a BOB trailer and figuring out logistics,  I realized that there was no way I could take any time off work.  So, that plan got scrapped.  I then planned a two night trip in the area, but then remembered that I had to work on Sunday.  The trip turned into one night.  I pulled the BOB to work, fully loaded, intending to camp Friday night, and the ride home the long way on Saturday.

I was pulling the BOB with my Siren 55 and it did fine, but after 15 miles I was a little concerned that the side to side torque of the trailer might cause some damage to the frame, if not immediately, over time.  So,  I rode back home.   ( I since contacted Brendan and he said that the frame should be fine.)

The other issue for me is that I have only one race bike.  I am concerned that the wear and tear over time might leave me without a race bike.  I also want a go to bike that I can have ready to pull the kid on the Trail a Bike, without having to switch out the seatpost.  So I went about building up my old Trek frame. 

For now it has a Reba on it but I'm thinking about switching it out for a rigid for that will hold a set of panniers.  Maybe this winter when I have time I'll sit down and sew some bags.   Or maybe I'll just order some....

Here are some pictures of the beginnings of some fun times:






Have a great day!

No comments: