Wednesday, July 14, 2010

ORAMM Recon

In less than two weeks I will be lining up at the start of ORAMM.  I have been out to ride the lower loop of the course several times this year, starting back in January.  I decided to get out and ride Kitsuma last night,  just to take  a refresher course on techy downhill.   The results were a little better.  I'm a bit stronger than I was in January, and while my techy skills have not improved much, I got to the top of the first switchbacks with less effort. 

During the ride, I realized that I am nervous about the race.  In 2008 I DNF'ed,  ending up in the ER with heat exhaustion.  In 2009,  I got sick again at the top of Curtis Creek Rd, and turned around for another DNF. My best time at this race was on a Hardrock Single Speed,  and this year I have finally figured out why.

It was my first year racing.  I had done the 12 hr Cowbell Challenge on the same bike, and it was gear low.  It was a spinning gear and virtually impossible to push too hard. Not knowing that I was doing it, but keeping my effort low by spinning and walking areas that were too  steep,  I maintained a steady effort and finished feeling great!.  That was 2006. 

In 2007 I was on a Bianchi WUSS, SS,  and geared a little harder.   I finished, but did not feel great at the end. 

2010:  as much as I want to go fast and push it,  I have an imaginary check point that, until I cross that line, I won't be pushing.  I have to figure out how to endure before I can endure with speed.  The Big Frog 65 was a success, and now I'm determined to have another successful race.

Of course it helps to have an excellent bike to help me succeed, and all of the cool people at the companies listed on the sidebar,  rooting for me, not to mention all of the friends old and new!!

Have a great day!

No comments: