Friday, August 13, 2010

Confront

Wednesday night I went over to Liberty Bikes to buy a new chain for my road bike.  Mine, unfortunately  was beyond worn out and I had waited longer than I should have to change it.  I rode to work and realized that only the three inner rings on the cassette were jumping. 

Thursday morning I set out to ride to work, looking forward to the Thursday night group ride.  As I pulled out of my driveway, I could feel and hear a disgusting grinding in the drivetrain.  And then as I rode up the hill, the chain jumped.  I realized that I might not be able
After work, I headed towards Liberty with hopes to be able to make the ride, despite my drivetrain's ailment.  I figured that if things were not working out, I would just limp home. 

I pulled into the shop with 10 minutes to spare before the ride started.  I mentioned to Tyler what was going on and he said they could get the cassette switched out before the ride started.   I excitedly told him to go for it.  He and another mechanic jumped to the task while Than ( who had gone above and beyond the day before) stepped up to take my money.  Amazingly, they had me out the door and ready to roll, just before the ride rolled out.  You guys rock!!

The ride was fun, strung out, fast and hot.  Sam always complains that he does not feel good and then proceeds to hammer.  I'm gonna try that next time.

As I waved goodbye and headed up the Parkway, my thoughts turned to earlier in the day.

I had prayed for the courage to confront my fear, and that is what I did (thanks to friends who prayed for me).  I looked it in the eye and with butterflies in my stomach, shaky voice and a small boost of confidence, I did what I felt was right.   The funny thing is that it was fairly anticlimactic.  There was no sudden ridicule, no put downs.  There was definitely  acknowledgment as to how what I was presenting, which was good to hear, further confirming that I'm not crazy and I should not feel like some issues are my fault.  It was more of a calming experience than anything.  It was one step in the process that continues, but it was  a meaningful step for me.

One step at a time, one day at a time.  Working through the baggage built up over the years, and looking forward to a bright, exciting future!

Have a great day.

No comments: