Saturday, January 02, 2010

Inspiration


When I was a kid, probably about 13 yrs old, I read a book titled: " My Side of the Mountain". Few books have given me real direction in life.

Most books, to me, are simply someone blathering their opinion or theory about something or someone, and usually they are simply reacting to someone else's theory on something or someone. I'm sure there are tid-bits of good things in those books, but I'm tired of wading through all of the blathering to find those morsels.

"My Side of the Mountain" was different, and maybe it ruined me for life, but I have been able to enjoy a lot of adventures that I don't think I would have, if I had not read this book.

It is the story of a young boy who leaves his life in the city to live in the wilderness, living off of the land, following the teachings of Thoreau.

So, I read the book and was inspired. Inspired to do things a little differently than the norm, to take a risk and see a side of our planet that a lot of people don't see.

I had forgotten about the book until 5 yrs ago, while working in a classroom with one of my clients. It was on their required reading list, so I borrowed a copy and read it again.

Then I forgot about it once again. Yesterday, as the kid and I were walking in the store, we came to the $5 dvd rack. I am needing dvd's to keep me entertained while riding the rollers in my top secret, state of the art training facility. First, my eyes landed on "Neil Young Live". 100 minutes of Neil Young should provide a good workout. Then as I searched for another dvd, I spotted, "My Side of the Mountain"

Jubal could sense my excitement and waited all day, patiently to see why I was so excited.

As we watched, Jubal sat riveted, soaking in every moment, and of course as a 5 yr old does, asking questions.

So, what now? Did the movie inspire him as much as the book did me? Let's hope so.

Have a great day!

No comments: