Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Work Ride

As I pushed m bike out of the house yesterday morning, the excitement built up inside. It had been 6 weeks and 1 day since my surgery and a little more than that since I had ridden my bike out side. I have 8 good roller rides under my belt and was ready to feel some wind on my face. The sky was overcast with a little wind blowing.

I made my way up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and noticed how quiet it was. It turns out that I had the Pwky to myself. It is still closed although the road was clear. It is strange being somewhere by myself after getting accustomed to cars whizzing by.

By the time I got near Warren Wilson College precipitation was falling. The temps were below freezing but it was not snowing, yet. It was a freezing rain that was sticking to everything, my bike and myself included....crazy.

20 minutes later when I got to Camp Rockmont, it was snowing. It snowed for a couple of hours. Great way to start riding again!!


The trip home was more of the same except that I was riding into a headwind. There was snow off in the distance, and little bits of ice bouncing off of my face. Cold enough to freeze in my goatee though. The kid could not believe that I had ice in my beard until I told him to touch it. I'm pretty sure that his respect for me went way up at that point. I mean, what other kid in his class has a dad who comes home with ice in his beard!!

The riding felt good. I felt a little weak in the legs but not as bad as I thought I would. I'm thinking that I'm going to come back fairly quickly!!

Have a great day.

No comments: