Sunday, January 31, 2010

Adventure

Friday after training, I headed over to Bent Creek to get a ride in before the snow hit. I got to the parking lot and could see snow flurries higher up on the ridges. Excited about a ride with snow falling, I got changed, and hit the road. It was cold, but I was dressed perfectly..for now. I took my time warming up on the gravel road before hitting the first single track. Again, staying away from the lower trails that don't dry out very quickly. Soon enough, the red clay that is Ingles Field showed around the bend.

This is about 20 minutes into the ride:
I rode on up Ingles Field, thinking that a couple of Dirty Thursdays will have this trail draining and drying really well. I also realized that, now that I was riding solo, and slower, I had pushed too hard on Thursday's ride...and I was feeling it today.

On up Ingles Field to Five Points, then up the double track towards Greens Lick. The view of Candler/Asheville and the mountains beyond was impressive. Dark clouds above, snow falling and collecting on the ground.

45 minutes into the ride:
I got on Greens Lick and headed down, it was frozen and sketchy so I took it slow, the slowest I have ever gone down this trail. It was in good shape except for one spot that needs to be drained. Once I finally made it down, forearms burning from braking, I considered Hickory Top, but decided to head down the road to Sidehill.

At this point, the snow was still coming down, and it would for the rest of the night and into the next day. I considered heading back to the truck and leaving, knowing that if much more snow accumulated, I would not be able to drive out of Bent Creek. 2-wheel drive F-150's don't climb well in the snow.

I made the decision to keep riding. I figured that if I got stuck, I could just ride my bike home. As I climbed Sidehill, I was again impressed at how well the Siren climbs. A friend has likened the 69er climbing ability to that of a mtn goat. I would agree. Up and around the contours of the trail and eventually down to Bent Creek Gap Rd.
1.5 hrs into the ride:

I took a left and knew that I should head to the truck. I also knew that I would not be getting a ride outside for a couple of days, and possibly more. So, I did what any sensible endurance racer would do....I kept riding.

Taking a right on South Ridge Road, the snow was starting to cake onto the bike. The brakes, drivetrain, tires and wheels were starting to be affected. The chain started to skip on the rear cassette, but I found that when I shifted several gears, back and forth, I could settle into the gear that I wanted.

On the road were a set of paw prints and two sets of footprints. It appeared that I was not the only one out here. I was feeling good but starting to think about heading home. My thighs would accumulate snow on the downhills, and they were stinging.

When I reached the Explore Loop connector, I heard voices. I finally caught the runners, and they were contemplating direction. I tried to tell them where to go and how to get back to their car, but it didn't work to well. The went on down the road, and I decided on the shortest route back to the parking lot. I road gingerly down to Explore and followed that past Pine Tree. The last bit of Explore, the techy rooty part to the lake, I ended up running with the bike. The snow was really caking on the bike and I had to stop every 20 step and bounce the bike to shake it off. The snow was sticking, caking to the bottoms of my shoes. I found roots to scrape them on as I ran. hmmm, cyclocross!

I had worn an old pair of gloves that were warm, but not at all waterproof. The snow had melted on them and my fingers were getting cold. Once I finally got to the road, and got back on the bike, I upped the pace to get warmed up again. I headed past the lake and out to the pavement, then back to Rice Pinnacle.
After 2.5 hrs of riding:
That was the fun part, but the excitement was about to start. I had already passed a couple in a pick up that had run off the road and smashed into a tree. The couple was not hurt, but could not get a tow truck to come out, apparently they were all busy.

I got changed and loaded up. I knew that I was going to get stuck on the last uphill going out of Bent Creek, there was now way my 2-wheel drive F-150 was going to make it up that without help. I knew that if I could get into the Arboretum I could get out the front gate and to the main road. I called the Arboretum Public Safety and he basically told me that they could not help me...

I got back in the truck and headed down into the valley, sealing my fate. There was a bout 2-3 inches of snow on the ground, and sure enough, as the road headed back up, I spun and slid. I tried, without any progress, to inch my way up, but it was not happening.... and it was not even the steepest part.

After about 15 minutes a guy on a bike rode by. He told me that he was parked at the top of the hill, and would give me a ride if I wanted one. I declined. I was not ready to abandon ship just yet. I sat on the road, with the heat on trying to decide what to do. Although it was an option, I did not want to ride my bike another 9 miles to get home. After about 30 minutes, an H-3 (Hummer) appeared in the driveway next to where I was sitting in my truck. I got out and the guy rolled down his window. He asked if I would like to be towed up the hill. I sheepishly told him yes, if it was not too much trouble. I breathed a huge sigh of relief as I hooked the chain under the truck. Less than ten minutes later, I was up the hill and heading home.

The roads were dicey, and the drivers dicier. As I headed towards the interstate, I got my momentum going and kept it up. I saw a car spinning and watched it stall on the side of the road. I got behind a slow car and was thankful that it was a downhill stretch. The car turned to get on the interstate, I followed. Once on the interstate, I was pleased to see that both lanes were plowed. I passed and was on my own for a while. 200yards ahead was a snow plow which I quickly caught. It was in the left lane, I passed on the right.

Another two cars in front of me, not going very fast. I got in the left lane and got some momentum. In a quarter mile the road when uphill. Going at this pace, there was no way we would get up the hill. I passed on the left without problem. I had good momentum and had to give it a little gas to get up the hill. I felt the rear slipping several times but had the momentum to get to the top. As I crested the hill, I look in the rear view mirror, to see one of the slower cars doing 360's and finally resting next to the guardrail...they lost momentum and used too much accelerator.

I figured that I would have to park about a mile from my house, on the outskirts of my neighborhood. I knew that the roads were not plowed yet, and I was right. But when I got there, a couple of vehicles had already gone through and I decided to try it. For some reason, I'm calling it a miracle, I got traction, slippery traction, but traction and made it all the way up the hill and home.

I backed into the drive way, unloaded, went inside and had some homemade soup.

Have a great day.

No comments: