Thursday, December 13, 2012

Goin' Boatin'

So I sold the bike. That bike I didn't realize I had grown attached to.  6 years ago, when I bought the bike, I needed to do something to scrape the money together.  That was back when gas was cheaper and I was paddling whitewater 4-5 days per week. 

I paddled some of the big rivers here in the S East.  Tallulah being the biggest, and was working my way up to the Green Narrows.  Wilson Creek, Nanty, Tuck, Noli, French Broad, the Dirty Bird, Little River Sinks, Big Creek, New River, Gauley....and then some.   I started out in a canoe, went to kayak, then switched to C-1 and OC-1.  One of my favorite accomplishments was rolling the open canoe.

I studied the art of paddling and worked to get my American Canoe Instructor Certification in Kayak and Canoe. 

And then gas prices went up and my kid started getting older.  Old enough that I didn't feel right being gone so much.  I sold my boats, all 4 of them to help buy the Bianchi Giro. 

As the kid gets older, I yearn to share life with him.  To introduce him to activities outside of cycling. 

When I  found out about the canoe, I knew what I needed to do.  At first I was sad, and will cherish the memories of that bike,  but it is totally worth it, essentially trading something that brought me so much challenge and joy, for something that will do the same and hopefully form a strong family bond.  (and possibly some long, multi day, solo trips).

I can't wait to get on the water. 

No comments: