Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Coming to Grips

This season's training has been interesting so far.  Since starting racing about 5 yrs ago, I have been hellbent on forcing my way to the podium.  I talk about how winning is not the most important thing etc, and while I believe that, I would still like to get to the top. 

In the past 2 months, already pushing through several challenges,  I have been coming to grips with the reality that I might not be programed to win.  I'm not sure why, but that inner drive to sacrifice everything is simply not there.  Actually, I think its there, it is just supressed by other things in life.  Things like spending time with my wife and kid.  I skipped two major workouts this weekend, in trade for fun time with the family. 

Some would say that I was sacrificing training time and that my fitness was suffering.  I say I'm not willing to sacrifice that much family time and have my relationships suffer.  Its a balance, really, and I have to remind myself to stop comparing myself to others. I have to stop trying to stand on top and be the best. 

Instead, I need to focus on my personal goals.  There will be plenty of time later this season that I do sacrifice that family time and head out on a big (hopefully) adventure. 

So, my goals are changing, or rather, I am realizing what I am capable of.   While it would be great to stand on the podium,  I'll keep doing what I'm doing,  enjoying my family, then riding my bike.  That sounds like a winning combo to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a good combo! Other people and our own self are what makes everything happen in life and if we don't find that balance it makes us unhappy. Glad you are enjoying all that is important to you!