Wednesday, May 07, 2008

6:09

" Stephen Janes on deck" the announcer calls over the PA system. I stop riding on my rollers and walk over to watch the last 40+ rider finish the 3000 meter pursuit. Mike Smith, the holder walks out to the track. I set my bike on the line and get on. Chris Kamm the starter/ time keeper walks out:" Stephen", he says," 8 laps around the track for 4000 meters, you will hear a bell on the last lap signifying one lap to go. Rider ready?" I reply," Ready". "Holder ready"? Mike replies" Ready". Chris counts down: "5-4-3-2"- I stand up- "1"- I start to apply pressure to the pedals- " Go". I apply more pressure, bobble, start to move, feels like I'm not moving, I should have practiced this, I'm finally moving, wow this hurts, start to spin faster, into turn one, sit down, keep spinning, wow that took a lot of effort!!



All of that went through my head in the first 30 seconds. My first lap was 51 seconds, my second lap was around 50 seconds, and the last 6 I got in around 45 seconds. My goal was to come in under 6 minutes. My time was 6.09. I was somewhat disappointed. Less with my time and more that I am not a natural. I'm actually going to have to work at this track racing thing.


Rhonda and Jubal cheering me on.
At least I look good. My goal this summer is to place top 3 in one of the nightly omniums.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

ExtrmTao said...

You need to start running that gear in the mountains. 8-)