Friday, May 02, 2008

Gears are Good

Last night I took the geared Trek to Bent Creek and decided to go big. Big for a night at Bent Creek anyway. It turned out to be quite exciting as I ran out of daylight and fluids.

Parking at Rice Pinncale, I headed up Wolf Branch to Ingles Field. Taking a moderate pace, sometimes forgetting that I have gears. Up Ingles Field passing Five Points without stopping. In fact, I don't stop until I get all the way down to Laurel Branch Rd. There I run into SORBA and the work crew for Dirty Thursday.

I continue on some more singletrack, then make the climb up Bent Creek Gap Rd under the Parkway and down the other side. I am pedaling in a huge gear and flying, I come to a truck that is sight seeing and I pass them. ( that never happened on the single speed).

I am now headed toward the steeps of Trace Ridge. I prefer to ride up this trail, it provides a perfect test for comparing gears to SS. I click to a little gear and start spinning. It will take some getting used to because I am used to standing up and cranking. It seems that smaller gears require more finesse.

I ride back up to Bent Creek Gap and book it back to the truck. All in all, a great ride, 2.5 hours, 26 miles.

Have a great day.

No comments: