Monday, August 17, 2009

Fool's Gold 50

We hit the road Friday morning to head down to Dahlonega GA. On the way down we felt the temps rising. Of course, I was supposed to race, there was no way the temps were going to stay cool.

After an uneventful trip, we got to the Etowah River Campground. Let's just say we won't be staying there again. It was mostly desolate when we arrived, despite there being quite a few tents and 20 plus RVs already there. But, to make a long night short, after the sun went down and the temps cooled, the party started and people came out of the woodwork. So, not much sleep.

I got up around 5:30 am to get ready. The morning temps were cool and the party had died down. I saw a couple of headlamps roaming around and was comforted to know that I was not the only crazy person up at strange hours getting ready to ride.

I tried to eat but the butterflies in my stomach had turned into some sort of monster, clawing at my gut from the inside out. After arriving at the start, I rode my bike down the road. My nerves settled a lot once I was on the bike. Still only able to drink half of my pre-rece shake, I headed to the start line. Once there, I joined the rest of the folks, only I went to the back of the field. While Eddie, the race director gave instructions, I chatted with Joel and Mark.

Eddie said go and we went...about 50 yards... until the little hill that gets us up to the gravel road. Someone at the front went down, and the domino affect ensued. After getting through that little issue, we were off. I ignored what was going on around me and stuck to my target HR. But I still wasn't feeling good. And, I wasn't getting better, maybe a little worse. Just feeling nauseous. Not good. I kept spinning, and kept drinking my sports drink, tried to take in a little bit of powerbar, I almost barfed. After a long hour and 20 minutes or so, I finally made the 1st SAG.

I sat down on a log. Not sure what to do. I figured I would sit there for 30 minutes and see how I felt. I decided to start sipping my sports drink. For some reason it made me feel worse. I considered going back to the start but was not ready to give in yet. I had only come 12 miles. I watched people come and go. Lot's of people. I decided to defy conventional research and sip on plain water to see what happened. I sipped and felt bad. Sipped some more and felt....not quite better but not worse. 10 minutes later, I felt like I could go on. 20 more minutes of sipping water, plain water, and I was on the bike, headed onward.

I remembered an e-mail conversation with a pro mtn biker. He said on a 3-4 hr training ride, he drinks only water, and takes some gels and a powerbar, just in case he needs it. But often on a 3 hr ride, he does fine only water.

At that point I scrapped my whole nutrition plan and went back to what I did years ago. One bottle of water and one bottle of sports drink. I alternate drinking from each bottle and end up drinking around 20-24 oz per 10-12 miles. And to eat? In addition to the calories in my drink, I ate Clif Shot Bloks and a couple of gels. Actually, thinking back I had one gel, and 9 Shot Bloks total.

Interestingly enough, I felt better as the race went on. I'm really glad too, because the course was fun. Not super techy but enough grunt climbs to sap my energy. It got hot too, but I kept rolling at my target HR and felt fine. There were a couple of longer, steep climbs that my HR spiked and I got really hot, but over the top, after recovering, I felt good again.

I started reeling people in too. That was a good feeling. These people had a 30 minute head start on me too. And I wasn't pushing hard, just steady. Deep down inside, I was elated, but had to ignore that feeling. Otherwise I would push too hard and not finish.

SAG 2, then SAG 3 went by and I was feeling fine. I had not felt this good in a very long time. Even on training rides.

When I finally got to SAG 4 I was pumped. At that point I was convinced that I was going to make it. And, Rhonda and Jubal were there. Rhonda had walked and Jubal had ridden his bike the approx 2 miles from the start finish, awesome. Rhonda said, " Hey, you look happy". I said, " I am since I started drinking water". I must have been somewhat fatigued because I wouldn't normally do what I did next.

I noticed the volunteers were wearing Swiftwick shirts. I had heard a lot about their socks, they are supposed to be really comfortable. So, I said: " Are you swiftwick?", they said "yes". I said," do you have any samples? My feet hurt and I need some Swiftwicks". They said" Not here, but come see us at the finish line and we'll get some for you". I said" thanks", and then laughed because of how I must have sounded. I didn't get to see them at the finish, but got an e-mail later telling me to watch for a package in the mail!!

The last 12 miles of the race were the longest. I was ready to be done but still enjoying the ride. I let myself get caught in a conversation with another racer. He was talking about how he was tired of the climbs and ready to be done. I let that get to my head and was thinking thoughts of "Please let it be over soon". I started to push too hard too soon. So, I backed off and let him go. But the mental damage had been done and I could only focus on getting there.

The difficult thing about a new route is not knowing exactly what is next and how far from the finish I am. I kept the HR steady but bumped it up a little more. I started to get little cramps in my calves which went away after on the bike stretching. I'm suspecting that those were from some cleat adjustments that were made before the race and the muscles not being used to the new position.

When I finally rolled through the finish line with a time of 6:10 I was ecstatic. I pumped my fists like I had won the race. I got off the bike, held my hands in the air, and cheered for myself. I'm sure people thought I was crazy but I did not care. I finished a race and I felt good!!! Success at last!!!!

Unfortunately my support team did not see the finish, as they were coming back from their 4 mile round trip, but they got there soon after. Jubal asked if I won. I said "no", but my friend Mark said" Oh yes, Daddy won"!!! Thanks Mark.

And thanks to: Siren Bicycles for the "best bike ever", Okie Dokie Smokehouse for the best BBQ ever, nuun, World Bicycle Relief for believing the power of bicycles, to Rhonda and Jubal for being there for me, Kinetic Koffee, yum, and to all the others who have helped me through the hard times, I think we are starting a new chapter!!!

Have a great day!!!

No comments: