Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Hike



Saturday, I was scheduled to go for a 4 hr ride. That would be the longest this year so far, and I was really looking forward to it. But, with the approximate 1 foot of snow that fell and accumulated, I knew that I was not going to get that much time on the bike. Maybe an hour on the rollers which I would be thankful for, but I really wanted to get outside.

I decided to go for a hike. There is a route that leads to the Mtns to Sea trail which leads past Starbucks. I have always wanted to hike this but did not know how far it was or how long it would take. Today seemed to be the day to find out.

I filled my pack with water, food, an extra layer and set off. The roads were pretty dicey, but the walking was fine. About 10 yrs ago, I picked up a set of aluminum ski poles at a thrift store to use as hiking poles. This was when I was doing an up and back hike on Mt. Mitchell. The first hike using the hiking poles, I took 45 minutes off of my total time, on the 12 mile trail.

As I hit the grade to the Mtn to Sea Trail, (MST) I was hoping to be the first one out. But soon enough I saw a fresh set of footprints in the snow. It was nice because now the trail was broken and I was able to walk faster.

It was quiet out there. No cars, birds or squirrels. Just the steady crunch of snow under my boots. It was peaceful. The skies were filled with grey clouds, which let loose an occasional flurry of sleet or snow. There was a stiff wind blowing, but where I was down in the valley, it softened into a slight breeze.

As much as I would have rather been riding my bike, I was thankful I had this option, so close to my house, and did not have to drive anywhere.

After about 1.5 hrs of walking, I found myself at the Starbucks parking lot. I had brought a thermos with me so I could bring some hot Chai home to Rhonda. Unfortunately, they were closed. The Harris Teeter was open though so I stopped in. The deli had some pre-made Brie and Ham sandwiches that look to good to pass up. The cashier and store staff looked at me oddly as I made my way around the store, decked out in hiking gear. I went outside and sat on the sidewalk to eat before making my way home. Kona Kola nuun paired with ham and Brie sandwich was perfect.

Satisfied, I made my way back home. I got in 3.5 hrs of hiking and my legs were heavy and tired. It was good to be so tired, and I hoped that this trip had only made me stronger. It was definitely fun.

Have a great day!

No comments: