Friday, October 15, 2010

Last One

I rode out for my last Thursday night Liberty ride last night.  The air was cool and the wind was blasting.  I have only been on the bike a handful of time since the stage race and I was not sure where my fitness was.  As I rode up the corridor of the BRP, I breathed deep and enjoyed the bright fall colors on the trees. 

We had a dozen guys show up for the ride.  I made sure to let everyone know that I did not intend to ride fast like we have been doing all year.  I'm tired of hammering and going fast, pushing myself to the limit and going crosseyed.  While that is all fun, my body and mind need a break.   I need just to wander on the bike for a couple of weeks before I go fast again.  In addition, I am still coughing a little bit,  leftovers from my sickness last week.  

We rolled out on our regular route a little after 5pm.   It turned out to be a great ride.  The weather was great, with out first strong winds of the season. We rode, chatted, formed a paceline, broke up on the hills, re-grouped and repeated.  We were still able to get some good speed going and every now and then someone would pick up the pace.  It was perfect. 

Before the ride, I was feeling sluggish and unmotivated.  After the ride I was definitely invigorated, and my motivation to ride long again was back. 

We got back after the sun had dropped behind the trees.  Riding through the golden glow of the evening, parting ways and then riding solo back to the house,  was peaceful.

Fall is here, enjoy the ride!

Have a great day.

No comments: