Monday, October 18, 2010

LEAF

Another weekend of LEAF.  Time spent with the kid, outside.  Wandering around,  watching, talking, chasing, eating hot dogs and BBQ.  Laughing, singing, loving life and living in the moment. 


We didn't spend a whole lot of time in one place.  Just long enough.  From kid's village to the big tent and back.   A little canoeing, throwing the Frisbee, some arts and crafts.  

Most of Saturday was spent hanging out with the kid's of Okie Dokies.  Two little boys and mine made 3.  It was a blast keeping up with 3 different little personalities.  Those kids are hilarious.

On Sunday as we walked past Eden Hall, I was captivated by the roots/rock sounds of the Boukman Experyans.  I was drawn in, dragging the kid behind me.  As we made out way through the back, the music was cranked and the beat was thumping.  The building was filled with people, bouncing, smiling, hugging.....I shed a few tears as I thought about this Haitian Band and their motherland is going through.  I shed a few more tears as I watched these people, pouring their hearts out, doing what they love, and sharing smiles and joy.  It was a good moment.  It reminded me that I need to love more, to give more, to let go of myself and continue to help my brothers and sisters. 

Just the day before, I reached out the window of my truck to hand the guy $2.  I could hear my dad's voice in the back of my head,"  Lock the doors, don't look at him".  I had to fight past society's view of this guy and realized that he is human,  and he has a need.  He had the guts to ask.  So many people don't have the guts to ask for help.  Analyzing how he wound up there, and what he was doing about it will get me nowhere.  I was there, he was there.  He was hungry,  I know what it is like to be hungry and unsure where my next meal is coming from.  Try is sometime, and watch the people around glare in disagreement.....

We all have neighbors, brothers and sisters,  right where you live, who need a helping hand.   Be that hand today!

Have a great day.

1 comment:

Alyssa Ast said...

I think the lack of compassion and empathy for others is one reason society seems so be standing still. Kudos to you for taking the initiative to do something so many would not.

Alyssa Ast
www.alyssaast.com