Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mixed

It was with mixed feelings that I rolled out of my driveway on my bike yesterday.  I was riding out to Erwin Middle for another round of bike rodeos.   It has been great working with the volunteers and staff, along with watching the concept of bicycle safety click in the 6th grader's heads. 

As I pedaled along the river, I reviewed where I am in life and wondered what was going to happen.  I am amazed that I am still commuting by bike.  10 yrs ago, I never knew that I would be where I was, that I would have spent so much time on a bike in so many types of weather.

The bike is an amazing machine,  a tool that has brought me so many friends and so much community support.  The bike has been my companion when I was lonely, took me away my aggression when I was angry, helped me face my fears, and challenged me to keep going.  The bike has given me self-confidence, and a desire to keep going. 

So when I have days like yesterday, when I feel like my dreams are not going to come to fruition, I will keep going, I will keep my head up and I will keep pedaling.  

In the end I realize, it's not even about me,  it's about how I can positively affect those around me, with the hopes the the ripples will extend all the way to the edge of the pond.  When it's all said and done, if people don't remember me, I am fine with that.   It's the thought that I am not doing as much as I could that saddens me,  and inspires me at the same time.

Have a great day.

No comments: