Monday, November 26, 2007

The Rain

It was at 6:14 am that I decided not to ride my bike to work today. Rain and 40 degree weather is a healthy recipe for a nasty cold. I decline. I'll ride on the stationary trainer on the porch later tonight.

It has not rained this much for a while. Perfect for a cold fall day. It started yesterday and looks like it will continue on and off for the rest of today. Most of the leaves have fallen from the trees. The leaves that are left have turned brown. We are definitely well into fall.

I love this time of year. Actually I love all times of the year. Now that the leaves are down we can see the mountain ridges that were previously blocked from view. Every detail is revealed. Each contour, valley, cove and ravine has been exposed. Beautiful.

We watched Amazing Race last night. The amazing thing about this race, to me, is how whiny those people are. The race consists of teams of two people, racing around the world, participating in different challenges. The goal is to get across the finish line first, and win one million dollars. The one thing that got to me last night, is towards the finish, two teams were racing neck and neck to the end. One of the girls yelled out to the other team," Come on, you guys have finished first 3 times in a row". Her point was:" Hey, it is not fair that you guys have won 1st place 3 times in a row. Let us win." What? It's a race!! If they get there first, they deserve it!!

Isn't this just like us? How often we compare ourselves to others, compare our cars to other people's cars, houses to houses, kids to kids, spirituality to spirituality, etc. Here is your challenge for today. Take note of how often you compare yourself to others. You do it without realizing it. Often if you are critical, you are trying to prove to yourself that you are better than what you are being critical of. ( I'm not being critical, just sharing something that has been a challenge to me).

Have a great day.

No comments: