Tuesday, November 27, 2007

This Just In....

My loafer friends Mike Keeley and Roger Ivestor are in Asheville again today. They like to come up to ride, visit Liberty Bicycles, and eat at Panera. Somehow they make sure that I am not able to get away from work when they come up. I guess they don't want to make me feel bad for riding better than me on my home turf. They also always dog on me for riding single speed mtn bike. Come on fellas, stop hatin'. Show some love for simplicity.

These guys are from Shelby NC. I used to live there. I was just getting into cycling when I moved there. I joined a bunch of fast guys for the regular evening group ride. The only thing that was regular about that ride was that I got dropped and lost every time for the first 6 months. I had to ask cow farmers how to get back home.

I met Mike and Roger on these rides. My first memory of Mike is, on my first or second ride with the group, he dropped back and said" Hey, I'm Mike". I introduced myself. He then said " Your bike is too small".
I don't remember my first encounter with Roger, but I do remember that I taught him how to ride in a pace line. Good job Roger, without me, you would not be where you are today!!

Great guys these two. We are each ten years apart in age. We have tossed around the idea of riding across America on our 40th, 50th and 60th years. 5 more years to train fellas.

No comments: