Friday, February 05, 2010

Ice

Another winter storm is in full affect for Western NC. I'm having a blast with this weather. It's something new and different and we have to adapt to the weather. The weather is not going to adapt to us. You can quote me on that if you want to.

Fortunately for me this is a rest week and I only need minimal riding. I got in a good work ride yesterday. It was one of those days that felt kind of odd, and the things that I saw confirmed that.

On the way to work, riding along the Parkway, I saw this creature:
This thing was about 4 feet tall, looking towards the northbound lane of the interstate. If it had been dark , I would have been startled! Pretty cool.

This next picture is not odd in and of itself, but it is an example of the lighting that was present all day long. It never really got light, just different shades of dim:


On one of my routes, I pass Asheville Christian Academy. Everyday, some kid volunteer (or are predestined.....) to put up the American flag. This morning I had to do a double take:
Had the school been taken over and renamed the Anarchy Christian Academy? I don't know, but the flag is definitely upside down. There were two kids putting up the flag. When they realized their mistake, they tried to lower the flag; one lowering and one catching, but it was too big for the one little boy to catch.

I thought about going down to help, but was far enough away, that I figured with all of the adults, walking/driving by, someone would stop to help and my help would not be needed by the time I got there. Sadly, the adults who passed within 10-20 feet did not even bother to help.

Suddenly, the catcher, took off running towards the building. He had run off, deserted his buddy holding the ropes. Left him to take the heat. 30 seconds later, the door of the building where the catcher had run, burst open. Now, 6 little kids came running out of the building, full tilt towards the flag pole. I waited for a trumpet to blow or someone to yell "Charge" but it never happened.

It was cool to see these kids so dedicated, figuring out what to do and doing something about it. It was not cool to see the adults walking and driving by, either oblivious or ignoring the opportunity to lend a hand. Go ahead, take the time today to lend a hand.

I made it to work safely, did my thing and then it was time to go home. ( 8 hrs later).

I suited up and made my way out the door. 3 miles into my ride, it started to sleet and I rode in "wintry mix" all the way home, which was fine with me.

And to top off the weird things I saw today? Ducks, crossing the road. I have never seen ducks crossing the road on my ride, but here they were, in the middle of a snow storm, crossing the road....

So, I made it home as the winter storm began to rage. This morning the temps are hovering right around freezing. I woke up to hear 2 inches of slushy snow being washed off the metal roof by some heavy rain. I'm not sure what today holds!!!

Have a great day.

No comments: