Friday, February 19, 2010

Night

Wednesday Rhonda's parents came into town to celebrate her birthday.  Rhonda chose Red Lobster and I was guardedly excited.  I love seafood, but this is Asheville and it would be a pleasant surprise to find good seafood in this town.  Having spent 6 yrs in the Caribbean I know what fresh fish and lobster tastes like.

I ordered a wood grilled lobster and shrimp combo. It came with rice pilaf (whatever that is, and what did they peel it off of?), and mashed potatoes.  When I got the plate is was smothered in some kind of sauce.  Why you would smother shrimp and lobster in some  kind of sauce, I don't know.  I ate it, and it tasted fine,  not fresh, but somewhat tasty.  Later, when I got home, I started to feel queasy.

After waking up, i was still feeling funny, but I had a dr's appointment that I needed to get to.  I felt bad until around 3pm when I was finally able to eat something.  I was frustrated because I really wanted to ride my bike but I didn't feel good, and the trails are still icy/snow covered. Fortunately, as time progressed, I started to feel better.

When I drove home and realized that I might be able to get out for about an hour, instead of riding the rollers, I was pumped.  I gathered my layers, even though it was 30 degrees it felt warm, got some food and drink attached the lights  and headed out. 


I headed to the parkway figuring I could do an out and back ride.  And the climbs are perfect on this section for the workout I needed today.  Thankful that I was feeling better,  I breathed in the fresh air, and savored the sunset.

The air was clear and the traffic was low. The sides of the parkway are covered in snow, I followed the ribbon of gray pavement up and down through the woods.


The sunset on the way out told me that I would get home after dark.
I made it down to 191, crossed the river then turned around to head back.  Climbing up from the river to the Interstate is a longish steady climb.   As I was climbing in the dark, I looked back and above me the moon caught my eye.  The tips are pointing up, indicating that there will  be no precipitation for several days.

Look closely, you can see the moon to the left of my head:
I made it back home with a time of 1hr 8 minutes,  satisfied.

The highs this weekend are going to be up around 50, so I'm hoping to squeeze in a gravel road ride!!  We'll see what happens.

Have a great day. 

No comments: