Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's Time

It's that time of year again folks, where everybody is rushing around, packing, traveling, cooking, eating, socializing, stressing.....etc. I found long ago that it is so much less stressful not to travel on or around holidays. I can spend just as good or better quality time with friends and family any other time of year, without all the traffic and craziness.

So, don't try to rob my house this week, because I am going to be here, and you will regret the attempt.

I get to ride my bike 4 days in a row, long rides hopefully, 2-4 hr rides. Yes. I'm excited about being on my bike again. My friends at my birthday ride helped me remember what a long ride is like and how fun and painless it can be (at the right pace).

But, now my problem is that I have so many options. North on the Parkway? or South? Dirt ride? where? Ride from home? Drive to the trailhead?

As usual I will most likely pick the ride from home option as this affords me more more time spent with family. I might not be getting out to the gnar of Pisgah on a regular basis, but I am getting to ride, and for that I am thankful.

Now that it is dark 15 minutes into my ride home from work, I am trying to decide on which route is safest.

Option 1: the darkened alley called the Blue Ridge Parkway. During the day, it is great. Long line of sight, people relatively respectful etc. At night, with no streetlights, it is a darkened alley way...

Option 2: Cross over Tunnel Rd, one of the busiest roads, and the sight of a recent cyclist shooting, (although I have figured out how to get across by using the timing of the traffic lights, and having virtually zero traffic for about 30 seconds), down a neighborhood rd, through the Wal-mart, Khols, Pets Smart, and 25 other little stores parking lot, up through another super busy intersection... but all lighted with street lights.

Hmmmm.

Have a great day.

No comments: