Friday, September 24, 2010

Thursday Night Ride

We rolled out of the parking lot at 5:35 pm.   The start time has been changed to accommodate the earlier setting of the sun.  It was the second day of fall and the temps were getting close to 90 degrees.  My legs were feeling especially sluggish and I knew I didn't have what it would take to keep up to the normal pace. 

Fortunately for me, we started out fairly mellow.  We rode down the parkway, taking the long way around.  Biltmore Park had complained about our short cut, and the BRP shut it down, putting up a no hiking/biking sign.   Now we have to ride an extra 4 miles, partially down 191,  one of the busiest most dangerous roads in the area.  Not to mention having to make a blind left turn across traffic,  the traffic going 45-55mph through this turn.  In addition, the extra mileage is causing us to get back to the shop right at dusk,  adding to the danger.  Maybe Biltmore Park will change their mind before someone gets hurt.

We rode and chatted,  some went off the front, others kept it steady,  I dug deep.   My legs hurt but I was still able to hang on for the most part.  I think the issue though is me. 

I'm a bit tired of going fast, training to get faster.  It's the end of my season, and I"m ready to ride more for fun.  I told Jubal that my body was tired and I needed a break, explaining to him the concept of the " off-season".   He asked"  Why doesn't Jeremiah Bishop get ever get tired?".   He was serious too.

It seemed that I was not the only one feeling tired, the pace was high, but not as high as it has been.  I think I'm in the mood for a social ride or two.  

My race season is over and I don't have anything concrete planned.   I'm mulling over some ideas and waiting for the right time.  I could talk about it here, but then when it fails I would have to explain why the plans failed.  So, instead, I'll just make you wait.....

Have  a great day!

No comments: