Monday, April 09, 2012

Foundry Tradesman Contest

I can be a bit obsessive. Mix that with a competitive drive that came from a broken past and a desire to "do it right the first time", and I am left with an unbridled energy, much like that of a horse that has been spooked by a rattlesnake. Knowing that the best thing to do is slow down and take a deep breathe, but unable to for whatever reason.

And so when I was chosen as one of the 3 finalists and entered into a competition to win a new carbon fiber bicycle, I ran with it. I ran so hard in fact that I lost sight of what is important to me. Not that winning a bike is not important, but not as important as the ones close to me, the ones trying to help me succeed in my endeavors.

At first it was fun, then it felt like I should keep going because I was in the lead, almost as if it were my duty to continue.

Then I started thinking about the other contestants. I was being told that I "deserve" to win this bike, and for that, I am honored and don't take those compliments lightly. But, I don't know that I deserve to win more than the other two Southeastern Region finalists. Patrick uses his bike for work, he is a bike messenger in Charlotte. And the other contestant, Jessica is planning on trying out cyclocross and riding across the country. A new bike with new components would be one less thing, one less expense to worry about.

I'm a relationship person. I love meeting new people and getting to know them. Learning about where they have been and where they are. It inspires me and helps me embrace life more. I also like to help people. More than once in the middle of a race or a ride, I have stopped to help someone with a flat, or to give them a tube. I enjoy helping people succeed.

The Facebook voting contest is not me at all. Badgering people to vote for me. Begging people to vote for me. Annoying even myself by repeatedly posting to vote for me. Its not me.

And so, I step back for a breath of fresh air, taking the time to enjoy what is around me. Enjoy the people around me, the good friends I have made. And if this means losing the contest, so be it.

If I really do deserve to win the bike, then it will happen on its own, and will mean so much more than if I begged and badgered my way to the win. I want people to vote for me because they know me, and appreciate me and know that I will truly be a positive, sold out ambassador for the brand.

I am not saying that I am against this sort of competition, don't read me wrong. Foundry is doing a great thing in helping people get some people on their bikes and I am supportive of that and very thankful for the opportunity. Just the method that I have personally been using, going for the big W is not me.

I'm leaving my name in the hat, and I will periodically post a reminder, but I won't be " all up in your face" anymore. I'm stepping back to enjoy life and look forward to seeing how this plays out.

1 comment:

Cat Ebeling said...

I totally agree with you. Bugging people to vote and bragging about my accomplishments is really not me either.
I hope the best guy/gal wins.

-Cat Ebeling