Thursday, April 24, 2014

Single Speed Overdose

 I have finally been getting out consistently, and am glad to be putting in some time on the bike.  I've been planning on riding the single speed at ORAMM this year and so have been riding the single speed,  often.  The last ride, I felt ok and today,  I simply felt terrible.  I didn't feel tired, but my legs were thick and sludgy.  Even on the downhills, I was having trouble relaxing. 

I rode Kitsuma, out and back on Star Gap and up Mill Creek Rd.  I was really glad to get back to the truck and there was no end of ride stoke.

I tried to pump myself up, reminding myself where I was and what I just rode.   But I couldn't help but feel like getting back on a geared bike.   By the time I got home, I decided to retire the single speed and get back to training on the gears.

 I sent a message to Carey, a friend who trains and wins on single speed, looking for advice.  My friend told me that I should definitely mixed my training on geared and single speed,  likening single speed to a weightlifting workout,  a workout that should not occur on a daily basis. 
 I pulled the geared bike ( I should name my bikes huh?) off the wall, dusted it off, lubed and gave it the once over.  Everything appeared to be working.  I'm looking forward to snappy legs again! 


No comments: