Thursday, February 25, 2016

Ride Across America, February 2002

Wednesday, February 6, 2002
Time is drawing near. As of today we have 16 days until we get in the car and head west. Only 16 more days, to get everything together, only 16 days to get in shape, ( oh wait, that is taken care of), only sixteen days to ....... so much to do.
Yesterday, I placed an order with Mountain House, a company that makes backpacking foods. I ordered about 50 days worth of meals from them. These meals are specially designed for high energy activities and they provide the consumer with carbs and proteins and all that good stuff. I just hope that the 50 meals will last for more than two weeks!!!
I am excited to see how much food I will consume during the ride. I am already almost in a constant state of hunger. I just hope that there are some good country folk out there who will invite us in for a large sized home cooked meal!!! And pecan pie!!
Looks like rain/snow/sleet again for the rest of the week. This means more time inside on the stationary trainer. It is possible to ride in the rain, but not preferable. It leaves one chilled to the bone and shriveled like a raisin.
On Monday the 11th, I will be speaking to the Piedmont Flyers, a cycling club in and around Winston Salem. For more info contact me.
Thanks to my grandma who I call Nana. She sent me some Shaklee products to help my health on the trip.

Yesterday was an interesting day for me. I have had a toothache for quite a while now. It started getting worse so I went to the dentist. We decided to get a crown!!! After all, Stephen does mean " crowned one". So I had my first crown. It wasn't terrible but I would rather ride my bicycle across America!!!!
Finally, Rhonda is also excited about the trip. Her # 1 fear is getting lost and not being able to find each other. I am very thankful for her. Without her this trip would not be a reality. She is the greatest!!!
Well, have a great day, and if you see a cyclist on the road, give them plenty of room!!!!
Stephen Janes

 Friday, February 8, 2002
Two weeks left until we head out west. Below I have listed most of the towns we will be going through on the trip. The names with the asterisk are the ones we are more likely to spend the night in or near. I thought I would post them in case anyone out there had any info on the towns: places to eat, campgrounds, hostels, etc.... If anyone has any such info, please e-mail me at stephen@rideacrossamerica.org. This will make the trip a whole lot easier.
Thanks for your time,
Stephen J.
California:
Alpine, Pine Valley, Buckman Springs, Live Oak Springs*,Boulevard, Jacumba,Seely, El Centro, Imperial, Brawley*, Glamis, Palo Verde, Ripley, Blythe*,
Arizona:
Ehrenberg, Quartzsite, Brenda, Hope*, Harcuvar, Salome, Wenden, Wickenburg*, Morristown,Peoria, Pheonix, Tempe*, Florence Junction, Superior, Claypool, Globe*, Bylas*, Geronimo, Fort Thomas, Pima, Thatcher, Safford, Soloman*,
New Mexico:
Mule Creek, Buckhorn, Cliff, Riverside, Mangas, Silver City*, Pinos Altos, Gila , Hot Springs, Lake Roberts, Mimbres, Kingston, Hillsboro*, Arrey, Derry, Garfield, Salem, Radium Springs, Las Cruces*, La Mesilla, San Miguel, La Mesa, Chamberino, Sunland Park,
Texas:
El Paso*, San Elizario, Fabens, Tornillo, Acala, Mc Nary, Esperanza*, Sierra Blanca, Van Horn, Kent*, Fort Davis*, Alpine, Marathon*, Sanderson, Dryden*, Comstock*, Del Rio: , Bracketville, Montell, Camp Wood*, Leakey, mHunt*, Ingram, Kerrville*, Centerpoint, Comfort, Sisterdale, Blanco*, Wimberly, Kyle, Lockhart*, Bateman, Bastrop, ,Winchester, Lagrange, Rutersville, Oldenburg, Warrenton, Round Top*, Burton, Longpoint, Gay Hill, Independence, William Penn, Washington, Navasota*, Anderson, Richards, New Waverly, Pumpkin, Evergreen, Coldspring, Shepherd*, Dolen, Romayor, Thicket, Honey Island, Kountze, Fred*, Spurger, Mt Union, Kerbyville,
Louisiana
Bleakwood, Bon Wier, Merryville, DeRidder*, Mittie, Oberlin, Mamou* Prairie Ronde, Opelousas, Washington, Lebeau, DuPont, Plaucheville*, Moreauville, Hamburg, SimmmesPort, Morganza, St Francisville*
Mississippi
Natchez, Mount Locust, Rocky Springs, Jackson, Information Center, Jeff Busby, Tupelo, Colbert Fairy, AL
Tennessee
Lawrenceburg, Pulaski, Fayetteville, Winchester, Jasper, Chattanooga: , Cleveland
North Carolina
Ranger, Murphy, Hayesville, Rianbow Springs, Cullasaja, Gneiss, Highlands, Cashiers, Saphire, Brevard, Hendersonville, Saluda, Tryon , Forrest City, Shelby, Wilmington

 Wednesday, February 20, 2002
In less than 48 hours Rhonda, Texas and I will begin the long awaited journey west. We are very excited, to say the least.
Yesterday I had my first ever root canal. It was not terrible but I think that I would rather ride my bike across America.
After we leave North Carolina on Friday, we will drive to Henderson, Nevada. There we will visit my brother and his family. We will be speaking to his youth group on Wednesday night and probably head to San Diego on Thursday.
We have had some response in people opening their homes up to us. San Diego, CA, Scottsdale AZ, El Paso TX, are covered.
I am very excited about the trip and even more excited that I will be able to post some more exciting stories about the trip.
Thanks to all who have made this trip possible. Continue to spread the words among family and friends, and help to make a difference in your community.
Have a great day,
Stephen J.

 Friday, February 22, 2002
8 AM, Friday, we are filled with butterflies and the nervous shakes as we finish packing the car and close up the house. We will be leaving by 9 am. I can't fully tell you how excited we are because the immensity of the trip has not totally hit. So much planning and preparation. The big day is finally here.
Thanks to all of the friends and family members who have made this trip a possibility. Thanks Almighty God, our Lord and Savior, for this opportunity to see His creation and help my community. Thanks Youth Assistance Program for your devotion to the youth in Cleveland county.
To the group of guys in Shelby that I ride with, thanks for the encouragement, it has been great getting to know you and I look forward to riding again with you.
Thanks to Crossroads Ministries for allowing me the time to fulfill a dream. You guys are great and we'll miss you.
Thanks to all who have made contributions in funds and product, without you this trip would be more difficult!!
Please feel free to contact us via e-mail, and share the web-site with your friends.
Lastly, thanks to Brian at Kraynight.com, for his contribution of the web-site. Brian is a talented musician and artist. Help support him by clicking the Kraynight.com link my web-site.
I hope you all have a great day,
Stephen and Rhonda

 Sunday, February 24, 2002
8:45 AM
We got all packed up, nerves and everything. Driving to the YAP office we are both quiet with excitement. We visit for a few minutes and then hit the road.
Within the first 3 hours the check engine light comes on in the 1997 Honda Accord that we are driving. My prognosis is that because of the drag from 3 bikes and a luggage box on top of the car, the computer is getting a poor emissions reading. We opt to keep driving.
7:50 PM
As we pass Memphis we wave at my Nana and Pepa. Starbucks is also in order: double tall caramel macciato for me and a chai tea latte for Rhonda.

11:30 PM
120 miles east of Ft. Smith, we decide to call it a day. 800 miles is plenty for us old folks.
Around 10 pm we were cruising along and noticed a car stopped on the overpass above us. Suddenly an unidentifiable mystery fluid hit the windshield. I guess when you gotta go , you gotta go.
2/23
8 Am
We are in the middle of AK and we stop at Mom and Pop's for breakfast. Pecan waffle for me and eggs, hashbrowns and toast for Rhonda.
4 pm
We stop on route 66 for gas.
5:30 pm
Finally we reach the Lone Star State. How about them Cowboys?!!!
10:41 pm mountain time zone
We stop in Moriarty NM. for the night. Another 800 miles today. Tommorrow we will visit the Grand Canyon!!

Tuesday, February 26, 2002
We arrived in Henderson, NV. yesterday. It was good to get a homecooked meal and a not hotel room bed.
The trip went well. We left Flagstaff around 9 am and went north to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is an amazing place. So huge. Words can't really explain it, so you'll just have to come see for yourself.
After the Canyon we went south back to I-40 and had lunch in a pizza place on Route 66.
The road to Henderson crosses over Hoover dam. About 5 miles before the dam there is apolice checkpoint. They waved us on through. They must have heard about our trip because they were all wanting an autograph. Ok not really, but they did wave us through.
The dam is another amazing sight to see. We drove up over a hill into a steep valley and there it was. The water from Lake Mead is crystal clear.
Today, my brother Geoffrey and his wife Nancy and two kids Kara and Garren will be taking us to the strip in LV. Tommorrow we will be hiking up Mt Charles. There is snow up there and down here it is to get up to 75 degrees. Very different from the south.
Thanks again for you support. Please continue checking the list of towns below and let me know if you know of someone who we could contact for campround and route info along the way.
Have a great day,
Stephen and Rhonda


 Thursday, February 28, 2002
After a great visit with Geoffrey and Nancy and kids, we head to San Diego. Tomorrow the second stage of this trip begins. We will be leaving from Ocean Beach Park. Rhonda and Texas will be riding the first few miles of the trip with me.
Have a great day,
Stephen J.




No comments: